Understanding Social Security and Medicare Flipbook_2023

“Do Over” or “Reset” If you regret taking a permanently reduced Social Security benefit before reaching full retirement age, you can apply to withdraw benefits within 12 months of making the original claim for benefits. However, you must repay all benefits you and your spouse have received. This optiont is available only once in your lifetime. The “do over” strategy was not changed by the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015. “Start, Stop, Restart” If you have already started receiving benefits and would prefer to stop them in order to receive higher benefits later, you can ask Social Security to suspend future benefits and restart them at a later date. To request this action, you must have reached full retirement age. Keep in mind that your spouse cannot receive spousal benefits during the time when your benefits are suspended.